Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Its My Birthday and I'll Cry if I Want to.......

Excuse my french, but hell yea I'll cry if I want to. I'm 25 years old damn it! I can't believe I have been alive a quarter of a century. Its a shocker, as all of you know from your own experiances with birthdays, I don't feel 25. How am I in my mid twentys?......I can't even spell.

Well Its becoming a trend, of my last 5 birthdays I have been out of the country for 4 of them. And I don't forsee it being much differant for the next 2. That means when I turn 27, 6 of my last 7 birthdays will have been oversees. I can deal with that, mabey its keeping my younger....at least thats what I hope.

So birthdays in the Philippines. I'll start with saying I had a blast, BUT......Western Style birthdays definatly have there advantages. The tradition here is when its your birthday, you pay for everything. This sucks. My officemates expect food, either lunch or snack. My barcada (friends) expect booze, either whiskey or beer. My host families expect dinner. Starting alive and ending up dead. On and On. It was an expensive weekend. Good thing I won 1,500 pesos at the cockfights that friday.....must have been a lucky birthday weekend thing. There is nothing like celebrating another year of my life by watching chickens kill eachother. Oh we'll get to more killing here in a seccond.

So for my officesmates I took the ones I hangout with most to a local resterant for lunch. It was good. But the real fun started after lunch when I went home to prepare for my berkada, and other friends in Damilisan (my barangay). I had bought 3 chickens and a friend in the barangay gave me a turkey (most filipinos don't like turkey). Oh all of them were alive by the way. You don't go to the corner supermarket and by a dressed chcken here. Well in the city you could, but why would you do that, its not fresh?....Anyways, we killed em, and chopped two up for adobo. Adoba is a local dish here that is really good, its a unique sauce with chopped up chicken or pork. The other chicken and the turkey we lechoned. Look below to see what Lechon is. I'll tell you its good.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Yep, less then 4 hours ago, they were running around outside my house.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I cooked up some other stuff to, and we drank some beer and a bit of good whiskey. All and all a good time. Below is inside my "kitchen area" and the next picute is right outside my door.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh, this is Sy Sy. Her dad is the brother of my landlords wife. She is another shinning example of cute filipino children. She loves my hammock, even if unproperly used. She chilled there most of the night of my birthday, getting up occasionally for soda or to grab some more chicken or turkey.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


So my birthday wish?........That the Bears win this sunday and than win two more games after that. Thats my wish. Its not so much of a wish, cause its so plausable....but it is what i'm choosing to use my birthday luck for regardless. I just hope I didn't wear it out with Liverpool having to pull one of your there arses in the FA Cup.

Hope you all are bringing in the first weeks of the new year in great fashion! Miss ya all!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, if you wished for Grossman to play well that came true. Next year is our year, cute kid tho! happy belated bday buddy

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home