Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Home was good

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Whooooaaa. I'm back in the Philippines. That was one crazy month. I know it has been some time since my last update, I do apologize. Upon returning to the Pine's I had my Municipal fiesta, than my Barangay fiesta, all mixed in with the catch up work I had to do as well (wasn't that much, but it was still catch up). See the next blog for pictures of my Fiesta. They were a good time. As for my time in America. As I quickly noted before I left the states. It was great. After a few weeks of reflection I still have that view. I am not going to make this blog very long and dragging. Nor will I get upon a soap box to preach. However I will do a little run down of the things I loved, was shocked by, and didn't miss at all.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Firstly the things I loved. As you will see below in the pictures. I loved seeing my friends new babies. The scary thing is is that these are not all of them. I didn't use my camera like I should have while I was home, I was in to much of a daze to worry about missing anything while messing around with it. (once again I will submit my request for anyone with fun pictures of our nights or days out while I was home to send them my way). I loved eating. I know I know, this is nothing new for me. But lordy! I think I gained almost 10 pounds while I was home. When I came back to the Philippines everyone, bar none, said two things to me once they saw me. You got fat. Where is my pasalubong?(gift). One word, beer.....variety is the spice of life. Of course this blog would be incomplete without saying my big congrats to Steph and Derek. Congrats! Your wedding was awesome. Steph was gorgeous and Derek didn't look like he did in his first passport picture (that's a damn good thing, right D?). The threads for the wedding party were awesome. The bachelor party was killer, I never knew I could get SO sore playing paint ball! Another thing I loved while being home that I had no idea how much I missed was hot showers. To me they seem like such a luxury, one luxury that I would prefer not go without. I don't care if its 90F outside. A hot shower is nice. I'm sure there is more stuff I loved and am leaving out but the thing I loved the most, or a more appropriate word would be, appreciated the most, was how much all my friends and family went out of there way to see me, or create time to see me. It was touching. No matter how close of friends and family I make here in the Philippines, I have doubts upon finding people that could top you all. What can I say? I was home.
Some babies.......
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Upon getting off my plane in the Twin Cities to catch my plane to Chicago, and after customs gang raped me, I officially entered the United States of America. Two things hit me at once like a train. I mean no offense to anyone but these two items do really stand out to me. One, people talk on their cell phones a lot....I mean A LOT. I know I am the worst myself at this, but its what I noticed. I got out of customs and remember thinking, wow everyone is in conversation, but upon further inspection I realized that no less than 60% of the people were on their cell phones. What's wrong with interacting with the people around us? The second thing was, people in America are fat. I'm not talking fat like me, I'm talking waddle waddle fat. It was mind blowing. Our country has a problem, and it needs to be addressed. There shouldn't be 8 year old kids that can't even break into a jog, let along a alarming percentage of them. Later that day, after finally getting into and out of Chicago (getting out almost took longer than it did to get there), Myself and my friends Pete and Kyle stopped at the brat stop for a beer. While sitting there, sipping my beautiful Guiness in a slight ecstasy, I noticed there were nine TV's in front of me. Nine. Each roughly one to two feet from the other. How many stations you may ask. One. Nine TV's, one station. I was slightly confused, until I remember I was in America. Excess is the norm. On that note, I won't elaborate to much, but my Dad and Mom went out shopping. I accompanied. They stopped at Walmart. Walmart....Holy Jesus of Mary. I had forgotten such things existed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Greg, enjoying his corn
The first week I was home I was in a state of bliss, shock, happiness, and more. The second week this initial wave started to fade away and some things did start getting to me. The speed of life that everyone held. The constant questions about my future, and everyone else's for that matter. It seems that almost everyone was worried about tomorrow while forgetting about today. It sounds so typical. Second rate "Ask Jane" stuff, but its true, today is all we have. From where I was sitting in the States, everyone of my friends and family had it pretty damn good. With all that said, I'm utterly and completely happy I decided to come home for the 17 days I did. It was a big trade off for me, but one that was very worth while. I already miss you all, and can't wait till we meet again. Either on this side of the pond or the other. To all of you take care and keep me updated on your lives! I love hearing all stories, even if you think its mundane. Mundane to you is a world away for me.
Peace
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Chris, after D and Steph's wedding, at the new Gyro place by Pete's place. He may have been happy....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home