Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Random Pics

Well I have been bad about pics, but what you going to do. These
are from my random weekends i've taken away from site. The First is the sunset in Boracay on the 4th of July. The house I stayed in there was amazing, perched atop a large hill overlooking White Beach. You can't see them to well in this pic but if you look close at the top you can see little black dots. Those little black dots
are actually huge bats, and I mean HUGE. Wing spans of upwards of 1 1/2 meters. They are called flying foxes. At sunset everday they fly from where they sleep, in Boracay, to the next island to eat, Panay, in the province of Aklan. There "migration" is amazing to watch, it takes upwards of an hour and it is continues "flock" (of lack of a better term) of bats moving the entire time.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com



The following two pictures are of the Fiesta at Sigma that I attended at the end of June. I really enjoyed returning to visit my original host family. I am already looking fwd to my next visit. The fiest was really a lot of fun, and as I stated on my previous blog, i don't think i have ever eaten that much in my entire life. The first pic is of a boat in the native boat competition. Out of the 21 Brgys in Sigma, 20 built native boats for a competition. They were floated down the river, through the middle of Sigma to be judged. A lot of originality when into many of the boats that i couldn't capture on film, like fireworks and explosives, as well as small props, and lots of Tanduay! (the local rum)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com



The next pic is also from the Sigma fiesta, in addition to the boat competition, there was also a Nippa Hut building competition. All 21 brgy's plus local coops and organizations built nippas for the competition. They all brought there small nipas to the Sigma square for display. The nippas ended up encircling the plaza and it was quite the site.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Well I do have more pics to put up on here, I have them upload to the internet but havn't had time to write about them or post them. They will come soon. I will add that in the past 3 days here I have seen at LOT of rain. The monsoon rains are in full effect currently, it hasn't stopped for 3 days, and I'm talking about some hard downpoors. On my journys to the mountains I have been stuck in the river (which is commonly used as a road when water isn't in it, a problem due to overlogging) after we drove to a rural brgy, it than poored down rain and made the trip back "interesting" to say the least. With the getting stuck numours times and me getting quite muddy in the process. Yesterday as a matter of fact I was at a ground breaking cerimony for a secondary growth market and the blessing of a new high school (everything here must be blessed before it is opened). Of course it rained almost the entire day, on the way back from the mountains the truck i was riding in got a flat, more fun changing that in mountains in the pooring rain. Anyways the next group of pics will be of meetings and what not from work, as well as a pic of the office I work at. I assure you it isn't what you think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home