Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Last week of Training

Hello all, well I have less than a week of training left.  I swear in next Tuesday and then I will be off to my site.  I must say i'm excited, I wish i knew the language better, but i'm not bad.  I guess I really wouldn't be happy no matter how well i knew it, there is only so much you can learn in 2 months.  My training cluster mate and I had to implament a small community activity for the end of our training and we did an environmental poster contest with a local church group, the one from the previous blogg pictures.  It went over well but still was a great learning experiance.  It took place in the Barangay hall, which is kinda like a town hall.  We had prizes and candy for the participants as well as a snack for everyone.  The following four pictures are from the activity, the first two are of the group and the second two are just ones i really like of two super cute kids (K.K. those are mostly for you), anyways enjoy. 
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



The next three picture are from a religous celebration that my clustermate and I went to (she is obviously the white girl below).  It was quite interesting and really fun.  The day began with us being introduced to everyone, and the men getting me to sit for a while and partake in a bit of "Tuba" drinking.  It is the local coconut wine.  It is basically the sap from a coconut tree, and when they tap it out of the tree it is all ready fermented and ready to drink.  After a bit of that they all piled in this small room and sang songs in Illonggo while an older lady played guitar.  We than ate a huge lunch, and then, as it seems to be the time of year, it rained and rained. They then brought in the Videoke equipment and we all rocked out for a while, Nicole and I did a killer version of Hotel California. For those of you who don't know videoke is the number 1 passtime here, everyone loves it, and someone in the barangay always has the equipment.  The third picture is of all the men, mostly the ones who were roping me into drinking the Tuba, like it was that hard, oh and a bit of Tanduay (local rum, runs about 80cents for a liter).
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



The below picture is of my hub training group while we were touring a coffee farm, learning the basic methods of coffee farming and harvesting.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com



This picture is of a production I went to about 1 month ago, it was in the town of Sigma, in the plaza.  It is a local out of school youth theater group.  The performance was accompanied by a band of all local bamboo insturments.  It sounded amazing.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home